Accidents involving semi-trucks are frightening, as these large vehicles can cause major damage. Generally, under federal guidelines, accidents involving a vehicle weighing more than 10,000 pounds are considered a “truck accident.” If you are in one of these accidents, you can take the stress out of the aftermath by taking the right steps and working with an experienced and skillful trucking accident attorney. In making a claim against the trucking company for your injuries, it is important to follow these steps:
- Call The Police Be sure to call local law enforcement immediately following the accident. They will secure the area, collect any evidence, interview all parties involved, and talk to witnesses. If possible, ask the police for a copy of the accident report. Try to communicate with the truck driver as little as possible, as any statements you make can later be used against you. Let the police mediate any conversations.
- Seek Medical Care Go to a hospital and get checked out by a doctor. If possible, obtain your medical records, as these records will be necessary to make a claim for your injuries.
- Collect Evidence Take photos of your car from all angles to document the damage. Be sure to also capture images of your injuries. These are all important pieces of information to prove your case in court. Also be sure to write down the name, employer, and insurance information of the truck driver, as well as the contact information of any witnesses.
- Inform Your Insurance Company Call your own insurance company to report the accident. By reporting early, you will get the insurance process moving as quickly as possible. Your insurance company will immediately start the process of repairing your damaged vehicle. However, hire a trucking accident attorney to contact the truck driver’s insurance company. Remember: any statements you make will most likely be recorded and could be used against you at trial. Do not sign any documents without first hiring an injury attorney experienced in trucking cases.
- Working With A Semi-Truck Accident Attorney Besides your own personal health and safety, this is the most important step in this process. A truck accident lawyer will know exactly how to handle your case to obtain full compensation for your injuries and pain and suffering.