Personal injury cases are brought for a variety of incidents. From car accidents to dog bites, the injuries can be traumatic, entitling the injured person to compensation. Once you decide on a personal injury attorney and begin the legal process, be sure to avoid the following mistakes.
- Lack Of Documentation: Much of your settlement depends on the quality of your documentation. While this is especially true for car accidents, it applies to other personal injury cases as well. Take photos, obtain medical records, and make sure that all of your injuries are documented as soon as possible.
- Skipping Your Medical Appointments: Of the documentation mentioned above, medical records are some of the most important. These records prove that you were truly injured, making it more difficult for the defense to argue to the contrary. So, while it may be tempting to skip your appointments when you feel almost back to normal, be sure to go anyway.
- Oversharing On Social Media: Anything you post on your social media profiles is public, which means it can be used against you. Even if all of the information is accurate, anything you post that contradicts a verbal or written statement in any way can be used against you. Find out more on how sharing on social media can hurt your case.
- Being Dishonest With Your Attorney: Your personal injury lawyer is on your side, so you can only benefit from being completely honest. For example, you might hesitate to admit that you briefly had your eyes off the road at the time of your accident. The fact that it could hurt your case is even more reason to tell personal injury lawyers the truth. They will know how to handle it.
- Handing Insurance On Your Own: Even though only 2% of personal injury cases go to trial, and the rest are handled outside of the court, does not mean that you should take any matters into your own hands. Insurance companies may not have your best interest at heart, so get your lawyer involved when dealing with them.
By avoiding these trap, you increase your chances of having a successful outcome. By finding a skillful and experienced personal injury lawyer, and working with them closely, you are doing everything you can to ensure compensation.